Campfire Camaraderie

Just as the campfire back at any hunting camp is the setting for many lively discussions, shared experiences, and riveting storytelling; this blog is designed to allow me to share with you all of my latest hunts, articles, video or TV projects, and all the other exciting things happening with me, Trevon Stoltzfus and www.westernbiggamehunter.com.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What Really Matters!




Life seems to go by SO quickly! This week I have had an opportunity to reflect on what really matters.


I have been quite busy as of late as I am working my normal job, doing shows for Wilderness Athlete, and going through the process of applying for all the different hunts in the different states. Earlier this week I was in my office filling out the different hunting license applications and my little one Avery (she is 2 1/2 yrs old now) bounces into my office and promptly states, "I want to pet Sylvia" (the name she gave my black bear rug that I just got back from Saskatchewan Canada earlier this month). "Not now Avery I'm trying to get some work done." I grumble faking a polite tone. I corral her out of the office and shut the door.


30 minutes later.....

With article deadlines looming I settle in to try and get some writing done and and I hear a knock on the office door, "Daddy can you come out and play?" Avery begs in her sweetest princess voice. "Sweetie, I have to get some work done, I will come out later." I respond through the wooden door feeling much interrupted and put out as I get back to my writing.


45 minutes later.......

By now I had moved on to something else as I had made some aggressive headway on my article when a soft knock once again sounds on my office door. I stand up and throw my hands in the air muttering under my breath that I will NEVER get any work done and I open the door. "Daddy, can we wrestle, wrestle?" Avery asks with pleading eyes. My heart melts and it hits me what is really important in life. My articles and lists of to-do's will get done, but this little princess, my little princess will continue to grow and grow until she is all grown up and she will leave and make her own life. My little Avery wont be little for long! "Of course we can wrestle, wrestle!" I said falling to my knees to get to eye level with her. We embraced in a head clinch where she promptly head and arms me to my back. As she giggles at the prospect of pinning daddy she stops and says, "Daddy I want a pink bow with pink arrows." "Ok" I replied with a chuckle. Then she looked at me thoughtfully and asked, " Daddy, can I shoot a pink deer?"


Things that REALLY matter!
PS. My beautiful wife Sandy is pregnant again and in late November-early December we will be adding another Stoltzfus to the fold!


6 Comments:

Blogger mom said...

Trev,
This is awesome. You've gotta save this for when she's grown up.
Dad

1:07 PM  
Blogger John said...

Trevon,
Spoken like a true dad. It is great to see that you make time for your family. that certainly is the mark of a well rounded person. My best wishes for your upcoming addition.

One of these days Our kids will play together. Mark my words...

1:09 PM  
Blogger mom said...

Did you say 2 1/2? In this third picture she looks 5. She is such a beatiful little lady. Love ya Mom

1:59 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I love you and Avery is blessed with a very attentive daddy!
You brought tears to my eyes, maybe you should try writing for a parenting mag too??

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

Trev,
We all get caught up in the busy-ness of life and could use your story as a reminder of how quickly our little ones grow into big ones! What a wonderful Daddy Avery has!

Does she actually know a head and arms or was that your interpretation? I'm guessing you've already begun to teach her the real moves. :)

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trevor,

What a lovely daughter you have! I think it's great that you take the time to be "daddy" before being anything else. Like you said, they grow up so very fast. Mine are all grown now, but it still seems like yesterday....
Enjoy these days.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home